The office is engaged in:
1. Implementing national policies, laws and regulations on foreign affairs, and instructions and decisions of provincial and municipal governments on the above-mentioned affairs; studying major foreign affairs-related events in Xiamen; coordinating, advancing and implementing the foreign affairs works according to the central, provincial, and municipal deployment.
2. Drafting and carrying out local foreign affairs-related regulations, development plans, and annual plans.
3. Coordinating the foreign-related works of relevant departments and associations; guiding the foreign affairs works of all districts, departments and institutes in Xiamen.
4. Receiving visiting State guests, Party guests, other important foreign guests and diplomats on official business in Xiamen; assisting in arranging important foreign affairs activities for leaders of Xiamen Municipal Party Committee, Xiamen Municipal People's Congress, Xiamen Municipal People's Government, and Xiamen Municipal Committee of CPPCC.
5. Managing and guiding overseas travel on official business in Xiamen with the authorization of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Xiamen Municipal People's Government; examining and approving overseas travel on official business; issuing and managing certificates for overseas travel on official business; managing visa application; inviting foreigners to Xiamen; handling visa extension and residence permits for foreigners; approving the organization of international conferences in Xiamen; taking the responsibility of the application and management of the APEC Business Travel Card.
6. Conducting exchanges with Xiamen's sister cities and friendship cities and developing such relations with more foreign cities; guiding the establishment of friendly relations of all the districts and relevant departments in Xiamen with their foreign counterparts.
7. Managing foreign consulates in Xiamen and relevant consular businesses; taking the responsibility of the negotiation and management of the Xiamen affairs of foreign embassies in China; arranging and managing exchange activities of all departments and institutes in Xiamen with foreign consular institutions; guiding the management of the consulate area in Xiamen.
8. Handling or assisting in major foreign-related events and cases; cooperating with relevant departments to study and deal with foreign-related affairs at relevant ports; coordinating, supervising and guiding the management of various foreign citizens and legal persons–related criminal, civil and maritime cases happening in Xiamen; coordinating and guiding the management of the safety protection of Xiamen's overseas citizens and institutions; managing consular protection affairs; assisting overseas non-governmental organizations to carry out activities in Xiamen and participating in the management of foreigners in Xiamen.
9. Carrying out external publicity of the foreign affairs system in Xiamen; managing the report of foreign journalists in Xiamen.
10. Training more talents for XMFAO and foreign affairs field.
11. Fulfilling other tasks assigned by the Xiamen Municipal Party Committee and Xiamen Municipal People's Government.